ADA (American Dental Association) [https://www.ada.org] recommends toothbrushing twice a day for two minutes each time. Studies have shown that brushing twice a day for two minutes shows effectiveness in terms of removing plagues. It is also recommended to use ADA-accepted fluoride toothpaste.
Is Powered toothbrush better to use than a regular toothbrush?
They are both the same. However, if you have some difficulty in dexterity such as a disability or elderly to move your arms and shoulder, the powered toothbrush can help you. Remember, good oral hygiene is an important part of complete dental care to main good oral health, which can affect your overall health.
Proper Brushing Techniques
- Angle your toothbrush 45 degrees toward gum-line and with a circular motion gently stroke your teeth back and forth.
- Brush twice a day for two minutes each time
- Brush inner surface, the outer surface, top surface, and also between teeth
- Replace your toothbrush every 3-4 months
- Use “soft” brush with gentle pressure so it doesn’t wear down your enamel
- Store your toothbrush in a clean environment where it can be air-dried to avoid any microbial growth
- Rinse your mouth thoroughly after each brushing
- No sharing toothbrush with anyone else to avoid cross-contamination
For complete dental care, on top of good oral hygiene, flossing, regular 6-month cleaning by your dentist, and a balanced diet is also essential.